Welcome

I struggled to find PEM resources for my CT3 year, despite the variety of excellent resources out there. I hope this website will help point you in the right direction. I'm not a PEM expert, but am following the guidance CEM have issued (in the form of a syllabus) to put together this page. This page is not endorsed by CEM, and any mistakes are mine.

Please comment with corrections, additions and further suggestions.

All the information here is collected from the internet, and it might be out of date or inaccurate, so please use your judgement and adhere to your hospital's protocols. If you do notice any errors or omissions please comment so we can put them right!

To navigate, decide whether you want to start with a PMP or a PAP. You can then select which PMP or PAP you want to look at. You will then be taken to the summary page for that PMP, with links expanded topic collections. If you know what topic you want to look at already, click on the link on the right hand side.

Friday 12 June 2015

Sickle Cell

Sickle cell disease is really common where I work and I've seen lots of different presentations. Our management seems a little different, and more rational, than some of the guidelines I've found on the internet - it was an interesting literature search.

Patho-physiology
Once again, the Calgary guide explains this better than I ever could.

The Calgary Guide
Glu --> Val substitution of the sixth amino acid of the beta-globin chain
Get HbS instead

Heterozygous: 45% HbS, 52% HbA, 2% HbA2, 1% HbF
  Sickle trait - increased renal cancer but no "disease"
Homozygous: 90% HbS, 8% HbF, 2%HbA2

HbS is less soluble so might precipitate. This means they become sickle shaped. Can be precipitated by dehydration, hypoxemia or acidosis.

Clinical Signs
Have you looked at the Calgary guide? It is a very under-rated resource.
 

Crisis
A painful crisis is the most common presentation to the ED for sickle cell.  Vaso-occlusion causes many problems - priapism, splenic sequestration, dactylitis, splenic infarction, stroke, renal failure, necrosis of the femoral head, blockage of the lung vessels and painful crises. 

Painful crises are more common in the limbs and backs. The pain is normally throbbing, sharp or gnawing. 

- Splenic infarction means RBC not removed by the spleen leading to Howell-Jolly bodies on blood smear. 
- Aplastic crisis causes anaemia, pallor, tachycardia and a low reticulocyte count. 

- Extravascular haemolysis causes a normocytic anaemia. As the red blood cells breakdown, there can be jaundice, and increase in gallstone formation. There can be increased marrow production to compensate for haemolysis. 

Nocturnal Enuresis
Pulmonary Hypertension
Develops in 15-35% of children with SCD.

Acute Chest Syndrome
This is most common in children, especially at around age three. It presents with fever, chest pain, difficulty in breathing and shadows on CXR. 

Need to treat the pneumonia / infection and have urgent transfusion. Be careful as overhydration may lead to oedema and pulmonary vascular congestion. 

Splenic Sequestration
This is a major cause of mortality, especially in those less than five years old. Major causes a rapid drop of Hb, pallor, LUQ pain, splenomegaly. Minor is more gradual onset. 

Neurological Disease
Strokes are common - up to 25% of patients. They need urgent imaging, and urgent exchange transfusion.

Dactylitis
This is often the presenting feature in children, and normally resolves in a few days. 

Hyphema
If there is any eye trauma, look carefully for a hyphema - it may not be obvious. Refer anyone who has protrusion of the eye, changes in visual acuity or loss of vision. 
Patients with sickle are risk of hyphema triggering acute narrow angle closure glaucoma. 


Investigations
Two group and saves if transfusion likely - patients with sickle cell likely to have abnormal antigens. 
D-dimers are unhelpful as levels are usually elevated. 

CXR, ABG, LFTs (jaundice or abdo pain), reticulocytes, blood and urine cultures (if febrile), USS abdo, parvovirus B19 serology (Hb drop, low reticulocytes Transient red cell aplasia (TRCA) is caused by infection with parvovirus B19, which causes red cell production to halt for 3-7 days), brain imaging, limb x-rays, CRP. 

Consider serology for atypical respiratory organisms and urine for pneumococcal and legionella antigen. 
Look for mycoplasma infection - red cell agglutination on a stained blood film and cold agglutinins in serum.

Look for parvovirus B19 - erythema infectiosum or slapped cheeks, gloves and socks syndrome (painful erythema of hands and feet), arthropathy, aplastic crisis.

Management
Oxygen - only if sats are low. 
Antibiotics - really consider antibiotics if CRP>25 - but not amoxicillin as it is so similar to pen v - consider co-amox or tax. Stop prophylactic antibiotics if starting regular treatment. Prophylactic penicillin should be used in children until five years old, unless they had a splenectomy or invasive pneumococcal infection. 

Transfusion - consider. If Jehovah's witness need transfusion, go ahead as per normal,  then contact legal department who arrange out of court hearing and you can normally transfuse them within an hour! And most parents are happy because they've done their bit. 

Hydroxycarbamide  (also known as hydroxyurea) - stop if febrile or low platelets as can cause cardiomyopathy and neutropenia. 
Hydroxyurea - more than three crisis in twelve years, or sickle cell-associated pain, or any infants older than nine months. 
Folic acid - 5mg OD
Hydrozine - 25mg BD PO for itching
Analgesia
Hydration - oral if tolerated
Thrombo-prophylaxis

NICE Guidelines
- Treat as a medical emergency
- Analgesia within 30min
- Obs
- Offer opioid bolus for severe and moderate pain
- Do NOT give pethidine

- Offer patients PCA, and treat opiate side effects



References
http://learning.bmj.com/learning/module-intro/.html?moduleId=10047809&searchTerm=%E2%80%9Csickle%E2%80%9D&page=1&locale=en_GB
http://calgaryguide.ucalgary.ca/slide.aspx?slide=Sickle%20cell%20disease.jpg
http://calgaryguide.ucalgary.ca/slide.aspx?slide=Sickle%20cell%20disease%20signs.jpg
http://www.epmonthly.com/departments/cme/cme-archive/sickle-cell-10-things-every-ep-should-know-about-scd-/
http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg143/chapter/recommendations 
http://thorax.bmj.com/content/58/8/726.full
http://lifeinthefastlane.com/ccc/sickle-cell-crisis/
http://wikem.org/wiki/Sickle_cell_crisis
http://wikem.org/wiki/Acute_Chest_Syndrome
http://radiopaedia.org/articles/sickle-cell-disease
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-pro/guidelines/sickle-cell-disease-guidelines
http://www.bcshguidelines.com/documents/sicklecelldisease_bjh_2003.pdf
http://www.rch.org.au/clinicalguide/guideline_index/Sickle_Cell_Disease_Guideline/
http://www.rch.org.au/clinicalguide/guideline_index/Sickle_Cell_Disease_Guideline/#fever
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/205926-treatment
https://www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/guidelines/gtg_61.pdf
http://www.spah.scot.nhs.uk/Documents/Adult%20Guidelines.pdf
http://www.transfusionguidelines.org.uk/transfusion-handbook/8-effective-transfusion-in-medical-patients/8-6-haemoglobinopathies
http://www.ststn.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/e.-hydroxyurea-2010.pdf

http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg143

6 comments:

  1. Am Alex from USA,
    There is a cure for Sickle Cell Disease,
    My Son once had sickle cell Disease he was always sick every month, and his growth was also very slow. he was very intelligent in school and all his teachers loves him for that. when ever he is sick, I feel the whole world is falling on me.
    I got the permanent cure from Dr Alegbe, for my son. He took the medication for good one month, and from then still now he does not get any fever again. and his body system is strong. he does not get sick easily. Dr Steve has really made me happy in life again. and I promise to tell the whole world about him. I never believed my Son can live long to this extent, but now his is living fine and healthy like the other kids. Now I believed Sickle cell Disease can be cured. any one with such issues can contact the Doctor on dralegbe@gmail.com or Whats-app him on +1(518)-675-6082

    ReplyDelete
  2. THERE IS A CURE TO SICKLE CELL ANEMIA, AM A LIVING TESTIMONY.

    I write to you with great joy in my heart how Dr Alegbe John turned my life around. I was born a sickle cell patient through the gene- type of my parents and became a carrier which led to immense crises all through my growing up years. This particular ailment was called rheumatism, the pain of the bone which I was told was caused by difficult circulation of blood in the vein axis.

    Growing up was like hell because apart from the pain and the fear of it, I also lived in bondage for years before Dr Alegbe intervention.

    I was restricted from doing what my mates could do, there was a lot of don’t touch, don’t eat, don’t go, don’t wear by the doctor and I lived all through this period on drugs. I was made to know that without this pill, my life will would finally come to an end. It was total bondage.

    During this period of pain, I would cry, shout, throw myself to the ground, destroy things I could find around me just because of restlessness the pain caused. My Dad got the contact of Dr Alegbe from the internet and he emailed him told him about me and made purchase from his product. I too the medication for one month and he always call to know how am feeling, that was how i was cured completely. any one can reach him On his gmail address at dralegbe@gmail.com

    I stopped taking my drugs because Dr Alegbe John has made me completely cured, I no longer feel pain neither do I remember how it feels.


    ReplyDelete
  3. Generally Stem Cell Transplant is known as typical,thanks to god now it become success rather than before.I have recommended Stem Cell Transplant in Uganda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Herpes cure Testimony I was diagnose with Genital Herpes for the past 2 years and I have been searching for cure. I have several outbreaks on my back and it really affected me morally, I read a testimony on this platform of a lady from Nevada who was cured from Diabetes with doctor Ahmed Usman Herbal medicine including the doctor official email address. I contacted the doctor through his email, after much discussion and few questions he prepared the Herbal medicine and asked for my address which I received the Herbal medicine 3 days later and with his prescription I drank the Herbal medicine for 21 days. After concluding the herbal medicine I went for test and my IgG result was confirmed Negative with no trace of the virus on my blood. Contact doctor Ahmed and be cured his email;drahmedusman5104@gmail.com. or send him a whatsapp text +14436204203
    He has Herbal cure for Diabetes, Hepatitis, Heart diseases.
    Hypertension, Strokes and Liver disease, Fibroid, Cancer, Asthma, Leukemia, Epilepsy, Menopause diseases 

    ReplyDelete
  5. THE MAN GOD SENT TO HELP ME IS DR EBOSELE.

    It is said that when someone has done good for you he or she has to be appreciated this is why i am here to appreciate and share a good news about DR EBOSELE for curing me from the Genital Herpes. i have been dealing with HSV1 AND SINCE 2019 until 2021 when i come to contact the God sent man DR EBOSELE who gave 2 weeks treatment and suddenly all the pox on my skin left and am herpes free with the cure from EBOSELE SOLUTIONS . with this great happiness in my heart i wanna ask ya all to join me thank him and if anyone need help to cure any kind of disease or anything prayers kindly contact him today via his details below:
    Email; eboselesolutions@gmail.com,
    Whatsapp/call; +2348146646995
    cureforherpesnow665.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. HOW I RECOVERED MY LOST FUNDS FROM CRYPTOCURRENCY SCAMMERS.

    Hello ! My name is Sarah O’Brian, I am a chartered accountant and mother of four from Michigan. Some time ago I decided to invest in cryptocurrency. I invested exactly $50,000 for a start with a fake broker and was made to believe that my investment had grown from my initial deposit of $50,000 to $250,700. This felt so good as the investment grew rapidly in just a few weeks. When it was time to take my profit, my withdrawal request was denied. Later on after much vain efforts,i realized that I might never get my money back.
    I discovered that i had been a victim of cryptocurrency scam.

    My boss at work noticed how frustrated I was so I had to open up to him about my encounter with scammers. He linked me up with Recovery Precinct, so I looked up their website and filled the contact form. They responded Swiftly and requested for details of the fraud.
    To my greatest surprise, my lost funds was recovered directly to my wallet address in less than 24hours. I don’t know how they did it but it was amazing.

    Recovery Precinct is a financial regulator, private investigation and fund recovery body. They warned that these types of scams involving bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies or fake merchants are becoming common lately and targeted victims come from different parts of the world.

    I am sharing this to save someone out there from a lifetime disaster.

    You can contact these group of Cybercrime fighters via this link:
    www.recoveryprecinct.com

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete